Thursday 17 March 2016

Odroid XU4 Setup

Ok so first up on my  list of devices to get fired up is the 8 core XU4
One of the fastest machines available so I was expecting good things, but 1st impressions are not amazing, however there are a few definite plus points

I installed Ubuntu mate on an 8GB SD, had a little trouble working out which way up the card went in,, but figured it out. (it went up :D)
1st boot, seemed to crash, so unplugged, and tried again, this time no issues and it went into the GUI desktop.

Start up of apps is a little slow, but that's quite normal with SD, though I was surprised at the refresh rate of the windows, they were fast enough to work, but there is a clear lag in the wipes and resizes...Which is usually an indicator of a software refresh. I can't be 100% sure at this point if this version of Ubuntu is actually using OpenGLES acceleration.

Anyway, this is my 1st exposure to Ubuntu Mate, it seems like a nice OS, though I'm not especially interested in using it. I could not work out how to add my wifi network until I found the installs tucked away.

Wifi did hook up, though I was plagued by my upstairs wifi externder being mega slow.

So, thats it so far, it boots up fine, it did an update fine, extender issues notwithstanding and it runs Ubuntu.

I had a look around in the directories to find the OpenGL libs and indeed we have OpenGLES1.1 ES 2.0 and ES 3.0
We evern seem to have an OpenGL lib, but that may be a leftover from which ever version of a desktop OS this was ported from

There is a really nice OpenGLES2 executable demo which gives a range of examples of shading fx with models and procedural demos. also a good hello triangle demo. But though I found the Exes, all the header files and I think the OGLES2.0  libs themselves..I could not find the source code for the demos, which will be a massive help for programming.

The Odroid site does have some interesting helpful examples though so I will download those at the weekend when I will try to get a project up and running on it.

so..easy to set up, get going,we will see if the coding is as easy.





No comments:

Post a Comment