Friday 4 December 2020

Slowing down a little

 I've not been buying as many boards of late. I made a decision not to rush out and buy every new one, and in a way I am glad I did. The annoyance of spending up to 100euros on a board only to discover its not actually going to do what I want due to lack of software is just too annoying.. I now wait to see what reviews and other comments on performance are like.. So far the new Orange and Bananna boards are, as usual, not getting any support. The new Odroids I did buy, but need to wait till software catches up. The N2 was very upsetting in its lack of support but its getting better.


But I did spash out on a new thing, sadly it caused me upset for different and obvious reasons


Gaahh, thats annoying, they're hard to source now as they sell out every store that stocks them as soon as they arrive, I got this from a reliable German company, but DPD did the damage in transit.. I'm sure it will get replaced soon.

Despite the case damage it does still work, and what a lovely little machine it is, a real return to 80's bedroom coding with a fully working plug in your TV and go computer. I'm in love with it... Its nippy, cool and can evern take a fair amount of overclock (if you like that kind of thing)
Can't wait to get one with with no damage. The keyboard itself isn't half as bad as I expected it to be, damn sight better than a dead flesh ZX spectrum. I really hope this does well for Rpi, as much as I love the RPi3 and RPi4, they are still precieved as mechanical control toys or server units, not as proper computers. This may finally break that mould and get kids coding again.

In other news, I'm reworking my game/demo frameworks to be more compatible with Pi4 and X11, it has required a bit of relearning and adjustments to demo's but it will all be ready in a few weeks for when this years Block C students get their chance to work on Rpi. They'll have to work hard to out do last years crop of nice content, but I always have high hopes.


No comments:

Post a Comment